Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Our Rough and Rashy Monday

Our Monday started liked any other typical Monday. Jack and I woke up. I changed his diaper and got him dressed. Right away I noticed that he was crankier than usual for morning. Jack is only cranky when he is sleep or when he doesn't feel well. He fused, whined, screamed, and yelled. I knew he wasn't feeling well. Friday when I picked him up from daycare they said he was running a 100 temp so I called and made him a doctors appointment right away. Side note-I'm still a little upset that daycare didn't call me and tell me he was running a fever. If I hadn't been able to get him an appointment I would have been really angry. Plus if he was contagious I don't want him getting others sick. So we take him to the doctor and he says that Jack is fine except for a little congestion and that his slight fever is probably from teething. Saturday and Sunday we had some congestion but nothing too bad. We had to give him some Tylenol a few times for his teeth but nothing to cause alarm. So Monday morning when he was really cranky I figured it was from his teeth but I really didn't want to take him to daycare. There are several other kids in there and I knew he couldn't get the attention a fussy baby needed while in pain. He needed his mama and lots of cuddles so I called in.

Soon after I noticed this rash on his stomach. Not too bad but it's there.

Hours later he wakes up from a nap and he has the rash on his face also.

Then his neck and head.

His stomach gets worse. 

I may be a horrible mother but I didn't take him to the doctor. Mommy friends kept saying that it is just a viral rash and there isn't anything the doctor can do anyways. I'll let y'all know what comes of this. 

What are your thoughts of what this could be?

Tuesday morning Jack wakes up at 2:30 am screaming. I check his rash and it had gotten worse. After several hours he finally went back to sleep and when he woke up again at 5:30 the rash had gotten much worse. He was admitted into the hospital Tuesday morning and was given IV steroids for over 24 hours. We are finally back home and he is much better. The spots are still there but are a lot less red. We are keeping him home the rest of the week because the meds he is on makes him more susceptible to illness. We are going to keep him home so hopefully he won't get sick before Christmas. We aren't sure what caused the reaction yet but for now we are going to keep a food diary and hope it doesn't happen again. 


  1. Oh my gosh! I am so sorry you had to go through that! I'm so glad he home and I hope you are able to figure out what caused everything.

  2. Oh my goodness...I am so sorry that you had to go through that! I hope that he is doing better and that you can figure out what caused it. Rashes are so tough because it seems like kids always get them, so you never know when it is serious.